Position Title: Children’s Department Assistant
Department: Children’s and Young Adult Services
Reports to: Supervisor and/or Assistant Supervisor
Position Definition: Under general supervision of the Supervisor, assists with programming and shelving of library materials and other activities in the department.
- Planning, setting up and conducting story times and crafts for children throughout the year.
- Duties may include afternoon, evening and Saturday crafts and/or story times
- Prepares materials for story time and crafts
- Assists teens in shelving Library materials
- Maintains the children’s and YA area and materials and follows the cleaning schedule
- May request supplies for Children’s room and for programming
- Has a working familiarity with the Children’s collection
- Helps with decorating the Story Room and the Children’s area of the Library
- Attends in-service and training sessions as required
- Attends monthly staff meetings and department meetings
- Works closely with and may cover for other staff members in the department
- Receives training to work on Circulation and Reference Desk and cover assigned times
- Checks ILL and Children’s cart at the Circulation Desk several times a shift
- This is a union position. The Monroe Free Library is a closed shop union.
- Must enjoy working with children of all ages.
- Must possess an energetic and outgoing personality with excellent customer service skills
- Must be organized and able to multitask
- Ability to remain on task despite frequent interruptions.
- Must be computer literate
- Must be able to work independently
- Possess well developed interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy and flexibility in order to work with a variety of individuals in different roles and in a variety of situations.
- Must possess excellent reading skills and enjoy reading
- Must be able to follow directions
Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 lbs., stand for at least 1 hour, and have a driver’s license and vehicle
Education and Experience:
Preferred: Two year college degree from an accredited college or university plus 1-2 years’ experience with children in a library or school setting; artistic background, decorating and craft experience helpful
Required: High school diploma and 2-3 years’ experience with children in a library or school setting. Artistic background, decorating and craft experience helpful.
Compensation: This position is $14.20 per hour for 20 hours per week.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He/she will be required to perform any other duties requested by his/her supervisor.
Interested parties should send an email with qualifications/resume to: mquarles(at)rcls.org and info(at)monroefreelibrary.org