Bulletin Board / Exhibit Area Policy.
It is the policy of the library, as part of its information mission, to provide access to free materials/community information through the distribution of free handouts or the public posting of flyers, notices, and posters.
Rules for Use.
- The library bulletin board is to be used for the posting of notices of either library business or activities, or public service items of educational, cultural, intellectual, charitable, or civic interest to the community.
- Members of the public are not permitted to post notices. Only authorized library personnel may post notices on the library bulletin board. Any notice to be considered for posting must be submitted to library management for approval. Note: Notices posted without authorization will be removed.
- The bulletin board is not to be used for advertising or for commercial notices. No printed matter soliciting membership or contributions for any group or individual will be posted. No materials endorsing or promoting a particular religion, party, or partisan issue will be accepted for display within the library. Because the library does not have sufficient space to allow varying viewpoints to be exhibited on topics and institutions which are subjects to controversy, such as politics, sex, religion, gun control, etc. Posters, bulletins, newspaper clippings, etc. on these subjects shall not be permitted.
- All notices intended for posting on the library bulletin board must contain the following:
- name of sponsoring agency, and
- address and telephone number of sponsoring agency or authorized representative.
- Notice size (physical dimensions) can be restricted if deemed necessary to maximize available space.
- Notices may be removed after two weeks, when they are no longer timely or when space is required for more current items. The library will not be responsible for the return of posted materials.
- The library does not necessarily advocate or endorse the viewpoints of organizations permitted to post notices on the library bulletin board. The library accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to any item accepted for posting.
Petitioning or Distribution of Literature in Library
In libraries: It is the policy of the library that petitioning, solicitation, distribution of literature or leaflets, canvassing, or similar types of appeals by members of the public are not allowed
On library grounds: In accordance with the US Constitution, groups or individuals who wish to petition, solicit, canvass or distribute literature to the public on library sidewalks, or other grounds surrounding the library building may do so if they do not impede access by the public to the building or interfere with use of the building.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in denial of future posting privileges.