Volunteers are a valuable asset to the Monroe Free Library, and individuals and groups are welcomed to perform service to their community through the library.
In order to provide a positive experience for both the volunteer and the library, the following policy will be followed for all volunteers.
- When performing library duties, volunteers must act in accordance with library policy and standards
- Volunteers must be age 12 or older. Volunteers under 16 years of age must have written permission from a parent or guardian.
- Prospective volunteers must fill out and submit an application which will be reviewed by the Executive Director or Supervising Staff member.
- If no suitable job matches are available at time of application, prospective volunteers will be contacted and informed that his/her application will be kept on file for one year, and if within that time an appropriate position opens, he/she will be contacted.
- If after application a job match exists, the prospective volunteer may be required to be interviewed by either the Library Director or Supervising Staff member.
- Volunteers will not take the place of paid staff and will provide special, unusual, or supplemental services.
- All volunteers shall have access to staff restrooms and kitchen during their work hours.
- Volunteers can be terminated for any of the same reasons as a paid staff member.